As we pulled into the jetty, I almost cried. The most beautiful turquoise waters surrounded this tiny, private island and I never thought I would ever have the chance to see something so beautiful in all my life but here we were.
We visited Velassaru on our honeymoon back in July 2016 and had the most incredible time. If you’re looking for an island to visit in the Maldives, I would completely recommend Velassaru. From the moment we arrived we were greeted with such a lovely Maldivian welcome.
Bags were taken from us and were replaced with a refreshing mini cocktail to sip on whilst we checked in. We were then lead to our home for the week.
Walking through the islands trees and feeling the sand beneath our feet, it felt so surreal to be there and seeing such natural beauty.
Our home for the week was a Deluxe Beach Bungalow. It had a little seating area at the front with a table, foot wash area and a small maintained garden.
It felt so peaceful and private, so calming and relaxing to just sit outside of our bungalow and soak in the island’s beauty. The trees were so vividly green and the sand so white and pure. The sky was so blue and scattered with fluffy clouds. It felt like we were in a dream.
Take a couple of steps out of the garden and you were on the beach and having your breath taken away from the sight of the beautiful, crystal clear waters of the Indian ocean.
Deluxe Beach Bungalow
- Garden bathroom with outdoor shower
- Indoor bathroom with shower
- L’Occitane bath products
- Complimentary drinking water
- LCD TV and DVD player
- Free Wi-Fi
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Bathrobes and hairdryer
- Beach bags, beach towels and slippers
- Free hire snorkelling kit
- Outdoor seating area and private garden
- Just steps away from the beach
One of the best features of the bungalow is the open plan bathroom. There is an inside shower cubicle and sink area and down a small step is the toilet which looks out onto a small, well maintained garden area which leads to an amazing outdoor shower.
Our honeymoon was kindly gifted to us by Dan’s parents as a wedding present. We spent 7 nights on the island and 4 nights in Dubai. The package they purchased for us at Velassaru was the half board package so we ate our breakfasts and evening meals in the Vela restaurant and any other food we wanted we purchased ourselves from the island bars or pizzeria.
- There are 5 restaurants and 2 bars on the island but Vela is the main place to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- The restaurant serves buffet style food that is prepared and cooked daily for you. So fresh and tasty and covers all dietary requirements.
- Vela serves imported meats and local seafood that make up a varied menu.
- Cooking stations are manned by chefs that cook your meals to perfection.
- Children are also catered for and have their own seperate menus.
There’s an array of water sports you can part take in on the island. From water skiing and glass bottomed kayaking to windsurfing and parasailing. The excursions that you can experience on the island range from night fishing and snorkelling to dolphin watching and an island escape.
The island also has tennis courts, a fitness centre, guided snorkelling tours, infinity pool and spa facilities. Velassaru really do cater for everyone.
One of the best experiences we had on the island was the private beach dining. Dug into the sand were two sets of stairs that lead to a couple of seats and a table where you ate your dinner that was beautifully decorated with flowers and candles to eat by. The dining area was surrounded with fire lanterns and candles in beautiful red jars to create such a romantic atmosphere.
As part of the dining experience you got your very own personal chef and waiter. We even managed to cook a dish with him! You have a set menu of four dishes with dessert and get to eat them all by candle light, overlooking the beach, ocean and the star lit sky.
It was definitely an experience I would recommend anyone to do, especially if you are there on your honeymoon. Incredibly romantic and an experience that will stay with us for a lifetime.
Another amazing experience we had was the sunset cruise. As you board the authentic Maldivian boat you’re treated to a glass of champagne and canapés as you sail across the Indian ocean and watch the sunset. This beautiful boat also takes you around the island so you can see all that Velassaru has to offer.
A truly magical excursion and one hell of a sunset that I will never forget.
- As we were Honeymooners, Velassaru kindly gifted us a tapas style lunch and drinks at the Chill Bar.
- There is so much choice on the menu but we ended up choosing a good selection of tasty snacks such as bruschetta style flat bread and Mexican chicken spring rolls. All washed down with a glass of bubbles.
- You enjoy all this whilst sitting over the ocean, looking out at the beautiful turquoise water and hearing the waves crash on the rocks below you. Such a beautiful setting for a yummy lunch and cocktails.
- Chill bar is also open in the early evenings so you can order a cocktail or glass of champagne and watch the sunset from the deck.
One little regret that I do have about our honeymoon is not being able to experience the spa. Whilst we were there, it was undergoing a couple of updates and I wouldn’t have been able to use the outdoor pool which is one of the main features of the spa that I would have loved to have seen. I also wish I had filmed some of our stay so that we could watch it back in years to come.
At least that means that I will have something new to experience if we are ever lucky enough to return and hopefully I’ll be able to record it so we can watch it back together when we are grey and old.
For our last night on the island we ate at the Vela restaurant and then headed to the beach to watch a movie under the stars. I’m such a massive movie buff and love nothing more than a trip to the cinema, so to be watching a film on the beach with a cocktail in one hand and complimentary popcorn in the other I really did feel so incredibly lucky.
On our way back to the bungalow I told Dan how much our time there had meant to me and I did cry a little tear. I never wanted to leave.
- Based on 2 people sharing a deluxe bungalow, staying from the 1st July 2020 – £185 per night (Special advanced rate)
- The nightly rate includes the following: – Daily buffet breakfast at the main restaurant – Complimentary morning cruise schedule every Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday (weather permitting) – Complimentary 30 Minutes Portrait Photography Session with one framed picture – Group Yoga Classes – Complimentary snorkelling gear and free Wi-Fi
- By purchasing the special advanced rate you save up to 40% off the nightly rate
- All costs include speed boat transfer from the airport and all taxes
From the moment we stepped off the speed boat to leaving this breath taking island, we had the time of our lives. This place will always hold such a special place in my heart and we have vowed to go back one day and take our boys.
I don’t think I have the words in my vocabulary to describe the absolute beauty of the Maldives. From the crystal clear waters to the white, grainy sand. I don’t think I will ever visit a more stunningly beautiful place in all my life.